Thursday, August 24, 2006

Zero

If I begin
to tell a friend
a story
that means
something
to me

how many
distraction
and
lapses
in attention

are allowed
before
I properly
feel
hurt?

one
two
three?

If I restart
the story
with some
frustration
and a
friend's begged
apology

and the friend
listens again
with
half interest
does this
become
an insult?

how many
moments
of indignation
and
righteous hurt
have i
rightfully aquired?

one,
two,
three?

or is it four
now that
I have left unfinished
a fourth time
and carefully
let the story
fade untold?

zero

zero times
need I tell that story
zero moments
may I feel indignation

because there
is nothing
my friend
owes me
though I act
as if I must
have more

I am merely
trying to find
something
in my friend
that I must
find
in myself.

If I would hold
a moment of hurt
a moment of blame
against him
I have done a grave injustice

This I have learned.

No comments: